Healthcare and Insurance

Studying on a course of more than six months  

If you are joining LAMDA on a course lasting over six months, we strongly advise that you register with a doctor near your home in London on arrival – do not wait until you feel unwell. You can get a list of doctors in your area from either the National Health Service Information Line – +44 (0)800 66 55 44 – or at

Students from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland must make sure to bring a valid EHIC card with them to the UK.

Students on a Tier 4 (General) visa may have to pay a healthcare surcharge as part of their immigration application. You will then be able to use the National Health Service. Please note that not all services are free on the NHS, such as prescriptions, dental treatment and eye tests.

See more information on the NHS website.

Studying on a short course (less than six months)

If you are not ordinarily resident in the UK and studying on a course of less than 6 months, you will not necessarily be entitled to free healthcare in the UK. If you are from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, make sure you bring a valid EHIC card with you to the UK.

We advise that any students from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland studying on a course of less than 6 months take out private health insurance to ensure quick treatment in the event of serious illness or for treatment of existing illness. Please contact healthcare insurance brokers/agents in your own country, as policies and prices for cover vary widely.

See more information on the NHS website.

Note: LAMDA recommends that students insure themselves to cover any medical or transport costs and loss of fees in the event that illness or accident prevents them from taking up their place at the Academy. Students on courses lasting less than six months may face significant costs if they are not insured and need to access medical treatment.

Twitter News